You are here
RI Adult Education Documents
RI Department of Education (RIDE) and other departments, legislative committees, etc., have produced RFPs, program descriptions, etc., that provide background information on adult education in Rhode Island. Oh, are there a lot of acronyms! [And I used a couple in the first sentence. FYI, oops, for your information, RFP=request for proposal.]
- RI General Laws 16.63 - Adult Education.
- RI General Laws 16-63-18 - (2014 S2182): This act would require the board of education to consider several factors in determining which high school equivalency test would be recognized by the state. Such facts would include cost, the recognition of the test by other states, and other criteria.
- Description of RI Agent = "LL [Lifelong Learning] Portal Agent Requirements Document" dated 5/29/2013. From the website: "The goal of the LL Portal is for all Rhode Island adults to have one place to go throughout their lifetime to get the education and employment services they need." RI Agent is a separate website, but the main website is supposed to be WayToGoRI? Or is it RI Resource Hub?
- Request for Proposal for CALIS - Comprehensive Adult Literacy Information System. This is a database for tracking progress of individuals in adult education programs. CALIS is also for tracking "EFL and Employment outcomes; State, program, and class-level performance data; Instructor and professional development data; [and] Statewide database of adult education classes and schedules." Source is LL Portal Agent Requirements Document.
- Building the Critical Links: Recommendations of the Rhode Island Governor’s Adult Literacy Taskforce. August 2004. Although this report is now more than 10 years old, it is valuable and should be used to see where we stand today. Several questions that arise from reading it:
- Staffing in 2004 is given (p. 18). What is the current staffing of adult education programs in 2014-15?
- Number of adult education providers for 2004 is given (p. 18). How many adult education providers are there in 2014-15?
- What happened with "workforce readiness certification" in Rhode Island (p. 37)?
- Funding sources for adult education for FY2003-FY2005 are identified (p. 43). Where is a list of comparable funding sources for FY2015?
- Dorcas International Institute has implemented the "Equipped for the Future (EFF)" 16 skills. How many other adult education providers also find them useful, and how does focusing on these skills make the programs better?