You are here
About the Directory
It should be easier to find out who does what, but many of the existing groups that focus on Rhode Island's environment are under the radar ~ Google searches do not produce comprehensive, accurate results.
Since 2006, The Providential Gardener has collected information about key, representative organizations for each of the 30+ environmental categories. What you'll find in the Directory for the foreseeable future is just the tip of the iceberg. The first steps for building the full directory are:
- Focus first on RI nonprofits, volunteer groups and governmental entities, especially in the Conservation and Gardening/Landscaping categories. I am skipping most for-profit corporations on this first pass.
- As of January 20, 2015, I am adding social service agencies involved in adult education.
- Businesses, especially related to conservation, gardening, and farming.
- Add organizations that request listings.
- Add links to existing online topical organization directories.
FYI, on this first pass through the main environment-related groups, I am mostly gathering addresses and main websites. I am also indexing them by category. You will find a list of groups in the right sidebar for each category. This is rough.... Some groups may want to categorize themselves differently. Categories are adjustable.
- Request a listing for your organization.
- Send corrections and updates.
- Report broken links and out-of-date information.
- Collaborate with The Providential Gardener! Ask me about this!
- Contribute information, ideas, support.